North Louisiana Jewish Federation

245 Southfield Road Shreveport, LA 71105    office: 318-868-1200   
fax: 318-868-1272

Who We Are

Executive Director:
Bethany Sorkey

Board of Directors:
President: Jodi Hutto
Treasurer: Ricky Murov
Secretary: Hollie Nash
Past President: Ben Sour
Sandra Blate
Harriet Dechowitz
Sandra Ginsburg
Karen Gordon
David Gross
Marla Hyman
Sandy Katz
David Kaufman
Fred Kent
Ex-Officio:
Rabbi Jana De Benedetti
Cantor Neil Schwartz 

The Jewish presence in northwest Louisiana predates the establishment of Shreveport in 1836. From the very beginning, Jews have been part of the city's civic, social, and mercantile life. Pioneer settlers began holding services in private homes in the 1840s, and by 1858 the community was sufficiently large enough to  consecrate a Jewish  cemetery and the first Jewish benevolent association, a forerunner of today's North Louisiana Jewish Federation. In 1859 the first congregation was founded.

Today, there are two congregations in Shreveport and one in Monroe.
For more information about the congregations, click on these links:
B'nai Zion Congregation in Shreveport, Louisiana
Congregation Agudath Achim in Shreveport, Louisiana
Temple B'nai Israel in Monroe, Louisiana

There is also a local Hadassah chapter, and the Fred Sklar Jewish War Veterans Post.
The Federation's service areas and approximate Jewish population of each are:
Shreveport/Bossier City metropolitan area: 400
Monroe/Ruston metropolitan area: 80